location: Atlagića bridge, situated at the very entrance to Knin, and a house in the Cara Lazara street 6 and on Sinjska road.

time: 5 August and an undetermined date close to 6 August 1995.

description of crime: In the early morning hours on 5 August 1995, at the entrance to Knin, a group of HV members stopped a truck with a 36-year-old Serb woman from Drniš and Živko Stojakov, her husband, aged 34, a civilian dressed in a borrowed Canadian UN uniform. “He came out of the car cabin without weapons and with his arms raised and walked towards them. By then I had also jumped from the trailer and followed behind Živko. At that moment, for no reason at all, a Croatian soldier fired a short burst at Živko’s chest. When Živko fell to the ground and was already dead, another soldier who was standing on the side, fired one bullet into his head. I then jumped on the soldier who was the first to shoot and started scratching his face, but others stopped me. I was ordered to take off my clothes so that I remained in a t-shirt and panties. Thus scantily clad, I was forced to walk towards the centre of town,” testified the survivor, who was then taken to the assembly centre in Knin.

Several days after Croatian military forces had entered Knin, looting of the remaining Serb property began. Three soldiers forced Ilija Milivojević to help them load the furniture from his house onto the truck. Milivojević decided to report the theft to the police on the same day and asked a neighbour to keep and eye on his blind father, Mile Milivojević. When the neighbour stopped by to check on the father, she found him dead in the kitchen. She reported the murder to the U.N. observers who came out on 12 August 1995. In the kitchen, they also found Ilija Milivojević’s corpse. One of the men had gunshot wounds to the chest and the other to the back. At the moment of killing, they were both wearing civilian clothes.

victims: three persons killed – Živko Stojakov (34), Mile Milivojević (84) and Ilija Milivojević (57).

legal consequences: Živko Stojakov’s remains were exhumed in April 2001 and those of the father and son Milivojević were exhumed in June of the same year at the Knin cemetery. Their names are included in the indictment which the ICTY prosecution raised against Croatian generals Gotovina, Čermak and Markač. But due to lack of hard evidence about possible perpetrators of this crime, ICTY’s trial chamber did not consider these cases.